Friday, September 26, 2014

Want to play along? Introducing 44 Good Days Special Edition

In my initial post for this year's project, I made an offer to extend my "44 good days" by one day for each donation to the Triangle Autism 5k, but after a little thought, I decided to put an upper limit on that offer, just to be safe. As much as I love doing this, I just can't do it forever. I made an offhand comment that if it went over 60 days, I might have to recruit some volunteers to continue in my place.

Well, one of my good friends just offered to do an extra day even if I don't go over the limit... and at that moment, a little ping went off in my brain: Why didn't I think of that before?

People like following along as I do this each year, but not everybody can chip in with donations. Believe me, I understand. But wouldn't it be fun to invite people to participate in some other way? Wouldn't it be cool to see what kind of great things other people might come up with?

So here's the deal: If you want to do some randomly kind or charitable act for one day, let me know. You can repeat an idea you've seen here, find one someone else has done, or come up with your own -- whatever you feel inspired to do.

Then let me know about it, and I'll mention it here on the blog. Or if you want, you can write a guest post on here telling the rest of us about it.

I'm not too worried about the timing. It's too much effort to start assigning dates on the calendar to who can do what when. That's way too formal and sounds like a coordination nightmare. So if you're interested, just get in touch with me. Let me know what you did (or are planning to do) and when. Let me know if you want to do a guest post or just have me mention it, and whether you want to do it anonymously or not. And for the record, anyone is welcome to participate, even if you have no idea who I am (though of course I reserve the right to not post anything that doesn't fit in with the spirit of this project).

I'll include a separate post for each of these Special Edition Good Days and we'll see how far past 44 we can go.


So who's in?

4 comments:

  1. Well Edson, you have inspired me. Inspired me to get off my butt and do something I've been meaning to for months but never got around to it.

    My wife and I have been looking around for a place where we could donate shoes. Like many Americans, we buy more than we need and have many that just aren't being used. In an effort to de-clutter the house, we decided to get rid of a bunch. This was last spring. I found a place (http://soles4souls.org) where you can ship them and they take care of the rest. You just have to buy the shipping label, find a suitable box, pack them up and get them to a post office. Seems like a lot of work! Which is where I hit "pause" on that activity and never returned.

    Until the other day. I finally got my act together and packed up a 16"x16"x16" box of shoes. The shipping was only $25 (not too bad I guess) and I think these are going to a good cause. Besides, as a rather tall person myself, I have large feet. There have to be people around the world with size 14 needs, and I bet those shoes are sparse in the donation bins. I included about 6 pairs in that box which will hopefully bring some relief somewhere.

    Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the inspiration. I've been following your blog for the past 27+ days and figured if you could do something good each of those days in a row, then there's no reason for me not to follow through with a plan forged last spring. Muchas gracias, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool. Thanks for the update Matt! Can I mention this in a blog post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, but if you refer to me, remember to use my code name: http://youtu.be/wdcSxM7XNG4

    ReplyDelete