Sunday, October 26, 2014

Day 26

Today I was on a camping trip with my youngest son's Cub Scout group. We had over 50 people on this trip, and quite a few first-time campers (including parents). So today I volunteered with, well, everything I could.

I volunteered to unload the trailer. I volunteered to set up breakfast. I cracked, scrambled, and cooked about two dozen eggs. I helped coordinate the boys doing dishes afterwards. I helped pack up gear and re-load the trailer. And then rush to get our own stuff packed up so I could follow somebody to the bike outfitter for a beautiful 17-mile bike ride. (All downhill, thankfully.)

All in all, a great trip.


4 comments:

  1. Where is this 17 mile downhill bike trail? That sounds like something I might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the Virginia Creeper Trail, near Damascus, VA: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5312878

    The whole trail actually goes 35 miles if you want to keep going to the next town

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, right. I've got a friend who keeps telling me about that and wants to take me there. Maybe I should do that one of these days. (Of course, he rides up first then back down, 70+ miles total. I think I'll skip that first part.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me tell you, after riding the downhill part, I can tell you the uphill part would be brutal.

    The outfitter who transported our bikes to the top (and rented a bunch of bikes to our group) was telling us about a guy who rode the 70 mile up-and-back trip 5 days a week. He reduced it to only 3 days a week after he turned 80 though...

    ReplyDelete