Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 8

Sometimes one of the hardest things about this project is the slightly awkward interactions that come up. People aren't sure how to react when someone does something nice -- especially when it's a stranger. People are sometimes confused, like where's the catch?

Some people are naturally smooth and comfortable in social interactions, and I used to think it was something you either had or you didn't... and I didn't. When I saw someone who had that social fluency, who could talk to anyone about anything in any situation, it was like a magic trick. I didn't get how it worked.

But at some point I figured out that it was a skill, like any other, and it could be learned, so I set about trying to get better at it. This has been especially helpful in job interviews and speaking in front of groups -- two things I don't do very often, but that really come in handy from time to time.

Unfortunately, those really good interpersonal skills are not hard-wired into my brain. I've come a long way from my awkward youth, but I can't remember names to save my life, and sometimes unexpected interactions throw me off.

All this is a very long intro to a very small random act of kindness. The building I work with used to have a small cafeteria, but due to budget cuts, it was reduced to a snack bar with hot dogs, candy bars, cans of ravioli and a microwave... which was further reduced recently to nothing but a bank of vending machines.

Today I pre-loaded some vending machines with money for the next person. And of course I had to snap a picture for the old blog here... only to discover someone standing behind me, wondering what the heck I was doing... Aren't you going to get a drink? But I have my own money... Why are you doing this?  Are you sure you don't want your drink?

I was trying to keep it from turning into a long explanation, but he wasn't quite getting it. But we worked it out. I'm sure from his perspective it was not as uncomfortable as it was from my side -- Despite the blog, in real life I prefer anonymity when doing these things. But once he got what I was trying to do, he smiled and told me it was pretty cool. I think he got his drink and left money in the machine for the next person. So, I'll call that a win.


No comments:

Post a Comment