Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day 5

As I've mentioned, this year I tried to plan ahead on this project. But as it turns out, I've been using the word "plan" rather loosely. When planning for today, I did not take into account the fact that a lot of things are just not open on Sundays. So much for planning.

On Day 4, I went to 24 hour improv comedy marathon to support the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina.

Since those 24 hours of comedy are actually in a  row, I went to bed last night in my nice warm bed with nice soft pillows, and these guys kept performing. When I woke up, they were still performing. So when realized early on that my plan for the day was foiled by poor planning, I uh... improvised. (See what I did there? Like with the improv... and you know, kind of like a callback or... because... let's just move on.)

I love the smell of comedy in the morning
I dropped into DSI to see how the performers were doing. Despite having an audience comprised mostly of employees and other performers, the same core group was still on stage and still going strong.

Every year during this project I always hit this point where I start to feel self-conscious about telling the world about the things I'm doing -- it feels a little too much like I'm blowing my own horn. But the fact is if I didn't feel accountable to this blog, and to those of you reading it, I wouldn't be out there looking for ideas. And even if I did, I might not follow through on them. Y'all keep me honest.

So this morning, as I was watching the performers up there on stage, pushing on through fatigue, not even halfway through their marathon, I started to notice them talking a lot about food. And I thought, "They have got to be hungry." So I stepped out, ran across the street to the Big M, and brought them back a big bag full of breakfast food.

They seemed very appreciative. And somehow, early on a Sunday morning, watching live comedy for an hour or more, I'm pretty sure I still got the better end of the deal.

UPDATE: Here's me on stage, courtesy of DSI's Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment